Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Random Thought: 13

Hello all,

It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? I’ve noticed that I have begun to update less and less. I’m sure this will only be the case for my time in Europe though, so please don’t stray. Today is day 15 of my trip, which means I’m essentially 50% done with my European adventure. While this is actually quite sad, because as always, there is just so much I want to see, it’s also in many ways very nice. I have made it halfway safe and sound, without any major glitches, and starting tomorrow, I have only 2 weeks to go before arriving in India. Sort of. I’m here for a month, which is actually 31 days, but the last day doesn’t’ count b/c I’m flying out, etc, you get what I’m saying.

I can’t put into words just how much I’ve been surprised by and enjoyed Bosnia. It’s a pleasant place, with so many hidden gems to be found all over. But, I am excited to be moving on soon. In two days, actually, I’ll be on a train to Slovenia, which is a country I’ve wanted to visit for over 2 years now, and I’m definitely ready to go west for awhile. I’ll be on my own after my time in Ljubjana with the Danish girls, and that’ll be nice. I can’t get over how everything has just worked out so perfectly on this trip thus far. For instance, the fact that I happened to meet three really fun and nice other travellers as soon I arrived in Bosnia.

Even if I don’t meet any other cool backpackers throughout my European adventure, I’ll be very thankful for these friends. For lack of a better word, Bosnia was very jarring at first. The scars of the very recent war have not healed and after being on my own for so long, I think I would have found a solo journey through Bosnia to be almost depressing. However, joining these girls really changed what would have been a perhaps depressing 2 nights in Mostar to an uplifting week-long journey throughout the entire country. It’s been absolutely wonderful to witness this country recovering, rebuilding, opening their homes and minds to us. Furthermore, it feels good to know that I’m actually learning, and this is more than just a vacation.

For instance, yesterday we visited a Bosnian History Museum and learned so much about the war. It was so strange to not only see COLOR pictures of death and destruction, but to also watch videos where you can hear bullets whirring by, explosions in the background, and read about Bill Clinton’s actions. It’s very much like watching footage of September 11th. After all, the war preceded 9/11 by roughly only a decade. Can you imagine, if the government of your state declared independence from the US, and then you had to spend the next 3 years constantly facing the threat of death? Unable to walk outside without fear of being shot by a sniper, seeing the familiar buildings and skyscrapers of your capital blown up, running out of food, gas, electricity and water, and not having the ability to leave?
Granted, Bosnia wasn’t exactly the richest country in the world at the time, but it was still a European country with many a western outlook, and those who lived in the capital definitely had access to television, cars, etc. In other words, it wasn’t that different from the US or Canada at the time. Croatia, for example, was as big of a tourist destination as it is today before the war, and then Serbian forces attacked and just completely ruined their economy by attempting to get rid of their biggest draw, the beautiful coasts and cities. It has also been interesting to see the different trajectories of countries since the war, as you can barely see any signs of conflict in Croatia.

This is another reason I’m so excited to see Slovenia! While before, I really only wanted to visit in order to see the beautiful countryside and pristine capital, now I have this whole different perspective, and I can understand its position today as another part of the former Yugoslavia, with its own unique trajectory and story.

I LOVE EUROPE.

One ironic thing about this trip is that I initially thought I’d be learning mostly about WWII. I planned on going to Poland (can’t now….), and then I planned on going back to Germany for awhile, etc etc. but if anything I’ve learned more about WWI (like yesterday I visited where Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assinated), and of course the Yugoslavian war.

I’ve decided I’ll need at least 5 more trips to Europe before I’m completely satisfied. One for Scandinavia, one for the British Isles, one for the rest of Western Europe I haven’t seen (Spain, Portugal, the rest of France/Germany), one for the former Soviet Union (namely Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia) and one for the south (including Bulgaria, Turkey and Romania).

So, in other words, who wants to come back to Europe with me for 5 more months?

All right, love you all,
Josh A

No comments:

Post a Comment