Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Random Thought 08

Howdy y’all!

Ok ya know how sometimes you’ll be listening to the radio and some completely old, random song that is never on the radio anymore will come on and it’s just like…the funniest thing? Like, if you were listening to a pop radio station and all of a sudden Bills, Bills, Bills came on between Akon and Lady GaGa, it’s be awesome and hilarious, right? Well, it’s even more awesome hilarious when you’re in Croatia. I have heard tons of Katy Perry, and tons of Lady Gaga while abroad so far, but nothing has been as awesome this bus ride so far.

I’m on a bus from Split to Dubrovnik, and as soon as we took off, the radio came on. Immediately, I was able to enjoy Toni Braxton’s ‘He Wasn’t Man Enough For Me.” Remember that song?! Haha. Then about 10 minutes later, I reminisced to “I’m Like a Bird” by old-school Nelly Furtado. Then, this wasn’t as good, but “You Sang to Me” by Marc Anthony came on. And now, I’m definitely listening to “Love me, Love me” by the Cardigans. I actually have no idea if that’s the title, or if that’s how you spell their name, but you know what I’m talking about, right?

Ok the “Other Side” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is on now. It’s like they’re only allowed to play songs that were release between 1995 and 2000. Fuckin right. It’s weird how much music can have such a strong effect on your mood, right? Like when you’re sad, listening to sad music can make you SAD, even if you didn’t think you could be more sad. It’s like, a different kind of sad. You can go from a peaceful sad to an emotional, trainwreck sad. The same can be said for the more positive emotions. Right now, this music selection is a nice respite from the ridiculously foreign culture and customs of expensive, massively developed Croatia. Ha. But really, it is nice.

I will say though that if you ever do go to Croatia, prepare yourself for some ridiculous journeys high up in the mountains along very narrow, windy roads and very tilty trains. Gorgeous, but scary. Last year, I learned there are similar journeys in southern Italy and northern Greece too. The tiltiness is apparently a good thing, because it allows the train to go faster, but it’s kind of scary when you’re a mile up from where you would land if the train just tipped over.

Aw, the mountains are making the awesome radio station staticky.

WAIT. OH MY GOD. THIS IS UNREAL. That song about the days of the week by David Craig (I think…that’s probably not right) just came on. Regardless, I have for some time now been very adamant that the 6th grade – 7th grade era of music was the best in the history of time, and I swear the DJ just put in the Now 5 – 7 plus the TOTALLY HITS (or whatever0 CDs and put it on random because its ALL MIDDLE SCHOOL BABY. This is the best trip ever. Right here, right now, I just chose my fate. I’m never leaving Croatia.

- Josh A

1 comment:

  1. YOU HAVE TO LEAVE CROATIA SO WE CAN GO TO BALI!!! But I SO know what you're talking about with the music thing! I always have a mini-freak out session when a song comes on that was a staple at a middle school dance! hahahaaaa Spice Girls, frickin MANDY MOORE! yea baby... bring it

    ReplyDelete