Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Random Thought 02

Well, I’m at O’Hare. I know. After that last post of whining and bitching, I’m sure no one thought I’d actually make it. The flight boards in 30, leaves in an hour. Ugh. After having a calm evening with Maggie, where I was reassured for the 90th time that all this is normal, I was feeling pretty good. Fast forward to this afternoon, stressed again. I really, really hope that there are good movies on this flight. I can’t think of a better way to pass by a few hours than to just watch a couple movies. I mean seriously…if it’s still The New Adventures of Old Christine, I’m gonna write a letter. Not a mean or demanding letter, but a slight suggestion. Like when we evaluate professors at the end of the semester.


For instance, I took a class with one Professor Vicki Hesli last year. It was Intro to Politics of the Muslim World. Now, Dr. Hesli specializes in post-Soviet politics. She’s very educated, well-traveled, and an overall worldy person. However, not very long after starting the class, I heard Dr. Hesli refer to Iraq as “eye-rack”, and Iran as “eye-ran”. Now…I’m not a grammar snob. And I’m not an intellectual elitist (or I try not to be). If you’re an average Joe on the street, I don’t give a fuck how you pronounce any country in the world. I’ll give you props for even knowing that Kyghyzstan exists. If you have a PhD in political science, and you’re teaching 100 kids about the middle east….you should know how to pronounce things. Anyway I wrote about it in my evaluation.

But I digress. This wasn’t supposed to be a reminiscent blog. It was supposed to be a list. If you’re not Jason, you probably don’t know that I LOVE making lists. I don’t really know why. Maybe it gives me a sense of control. Or accomplishment. Who knows? All I know is that it’s a daily joy. I even have a list of things to make lists of on my computer. Guess what it’s called? Lists.docx. It includes things such as favorite movies of all time, best movies I’ve ever seen, favorite TV shows, the 10 countries I want to visit in my life, 10 majors I wish I could have, etc.

So, since I’m still nervous as fuck (and doubt I’ll eat at all in the next 24 hours), I decided to make a list of reasons I shouldn’t be scared. Normally, I try to make my lists an even number, but I think I’ll make an exception.

1) I’m not going away to fight in Iraq, or Afghanistan

2) I’m not even gonna be gone ½ as long as most people go abroad

3) If I’m super sick or miserable I can buy a one-way ticket back to the US at anytime

4) I’m chock full of $1400 worth of vaccinations

5) I have taken care of every single thing I’m leaving behind (giving my parents power of attorney, given Jason and my parents copies of everything about my trip)

6) I literally have about 200 pages of photocopies in my bag composed of maps, notes, train-time tables, etc so that I know how to get around in every town I’m going to.

7) I’m going to see Meritt in 2 days

8) I’m flying into Frankfurt….which is probably the richest, nicest city in the richest country of the EU, the richest political entity in the world. And when I fly into India, I’m getting picked up.

Some of these things don’t really work though. Like, I know that I can just come home whenever I want, but I know that I won’t. I’m not just gonna be like ‘oh fuck it I’m tired let’s go back to Iowa City.’ But, I’m trying to convince myself that I can, if necessary. And if I get sick, I’m out of there, I don’t care where I am. Sick sick, I mean. I know I’ll probably throw up or something here or there but if I get malaria, or typhoid or any kind of hardcore shit I’m just getting the fuck home and fast. Did I ever tell you about Maggie? Maggie was in fucking Ghana volunteering for a summer and she held an orphan in her arms everyday, which sounds cute and all, but he had a Staph infection in his head so it got into her ARM and she had a huge boil that EXPLODED and she said she was literally in pain for like an entire week and when she went to a doctor, they told her they had to CUT HER ARM OFF. She was like fuck this so she called her dad, and she flew somewhere else and they were like “take some anti-biotics.”

Yeah, anything more than a fever and I’m out. So anyway, another list!

Reasons I should be the happiest motherfucker in the world right now

1) I don’t have to put up with stupid drunk assholes constantly ruining Iowa City this semester.

2) I don’t have to go to class at all this semester. Though that’s actually sad, going to class everyday Mon-Fri gets so old after like 8 weeks.

3) I don’t have to work for the next 4 months! And when I get a job again this spring, I won’t be saving up for a trip around the world. Soooo that means I can just work at the library or something for like 10 hours a week, like a normal college student! No more working Saturday nights til 9 PM at Pearson then getting up at 8 Mon-Fri to get in every possible hour at the AVC front desk, while also giving tours. And I don’t have to work with that bitch Sarah at a summer camp again ever!

4) I never have to say good-bye and walk out on Jason crying again. Well, hopefully not. At least for a very long time. In other words, the hardest part is over! I was brave and left and here I am, about to get on the plane and be DONE with all the hard stuff! Next time, I just have to come home, which should be much less stressful and then I can sit around and love Christina Yang some more again!

5) I can literally change every single thing about my trip (as I’m not working or taking classes or doing anything that binds me to a certain schedule) and if I get tired/freaked out I could spend an entire month in Croatia sitting on the beach.

6) I have a chance to practice my Italian and Turkish!

7) I’m seeing the world and I should just shut the fuck up.
Ok! I’ll talk to you all abroad! Wish me luck :)

1 comment:

  1. :D :D :D Not that I wish any harm upon you, but if you do contract some sort of illness/medical-related thing, you'd best tell me all about it!

    ReplyDelete