Thursday, August 19, 2010

Random Thought: 10

Hiiiii,

So I’m currently in Bosnia. It’s pretty much Greece. With some mosques. But I guess that could change when I get to Mostar, which should be in about an hour. I’ve had some interesting experiences and discussions as of late, and I’ve been looking forward to blogging with them. First of all, I just want to comment on Roma. Now, in every single eastern European country guidebook or wikitravel page I’ve seen, there is a disclaimer about the situation with the Roma in said countries. If you don’t know, the Roma are a kind of nomadic people, stemming from Romania (though really having roots in India), that travel from region to region mostly in southern & eastern Europe. They tend to be darker complected, and are also known as Gypsies, because of the similarities in appearance they hold to what we know of as “gypsies.” Anyway, there is a lot of animosity toward this nation because they are known as beggars, homeless, etc. Granted, in any region, the poorer people are going to be marginalized. But this is a particularly interesting group, because they’re not immigrants, per se. It’s truly unique, and actually, when I was having that great convo with Fran about all things Croatian, he said that so many people in Croatia hate the Roma because they do not work or pay taxes and they just want to live off of others’ earnings. This was an interesting parallel, in my opinion, to Mexican immigrants in the US. Because our immigrants DO want to work, and pay taxes, and become citizens, in general. It just made me wonder how much they would really be welcome (the Roma) if they DID want to assimilate or live here permanently. Or there, because I’m in Bosnia now. ANYWAY every book has told me that ‘often, dark-complected travelers have reported being mistaken for Roma, and encountering unwanted aggression.” Now, being darker complected, this has always kind of worried me. But, now that I am here, I actually encountered my first Roma the other day! And, yeah, I’m not gonna be mistaken for one anytime soon. Fran actually told me so, he was like ‘Believe me…you won’t miss them. You’ll know it when you see it.” And he was right, because the two roma I saw (in Dubrovnik), were decked out head to toe in flamboyant clothing, had very long and thick almost dreadlock like hair, and looked very much down and out. In the US, you might think they were homeless, or you might think they were just really anti-mainstream and really into a hybrid sub-culture between hippies & Rastafari. Ya know? Like it’s not always hard to mistake some ultra-liberal college student who’s into organic everything for a homeless person. Anyway, that was interesting. And comforting…because the only way I’d be mistaken for a roma would be if I dressed up as Captain Jack Sparrow.

Then last night, I was having a really nice conversation with some Aussies, and we were talking all about Australian pop culture. I don’t really know why lol, in hindsight, but it was relavant. And it reminded me of something I read in The Next 100 Years, this really good book I read before I left about this IR scholar’s predictions as to what the geopolitical situation on earth would be in 100 years. It was FASCINATING, and I might go more into that later, but one thing that he spent a lot of time on was discussing how the world has gone through multiple phases and eras that only lasted for anywhere from 20-200 years or so. Like, in other words, if in 1920, you had gone up to an average European and told them that in another 20 years, Germany would be on the brink of global domination, they would have laughed in your face. And then in 1940, someone told you that Germany would crumble within 20 years, and the US and USSR would be the supreme global powers, they would have again laughed in your face.

Anyway, he was emphatic about one point in particular, that we are in American age, if you will. Like, right now, everyything around the world is highly contingent upon American affairs, politically, economically, and culturally. And after having so many connversations with people, I’ve realized just how true this really is. This Aussie woman I was talking with last night informed me that probably 80% of Australian TV is, in fact, American TV. She also told me that really, for any Australian actor to be considered a full-on celebrity, they have to first make it big in the US. So, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Isla Fishers are all celebrities, but the stars of the 20% of Australian shows they watch really aren’t considered that famous. In fact, many of the Australian celebrities we're familiar with, such as Kylie Minogue, actually got their start on some Australian show, and that was actually amusing to them, like our little dog-and-pony TV show, only watched and enkjoyed by all of Australia.

Furthermore, they were very aware of the fact that an Austrlian show would never really fly on American TV. For instance, we talked at length about Kath and Kim, this short-lived show in the US, starring Molly Shannon and Selma Blair, which was actually based on an Australian show of the same name. It was HUGE in Australia, but upon arrival in the US, the rebooted version only lasted 20 episodes or something. I actually own the entire series (haha), because I love anything and everything Molly Shannon and Selma Blair do together (so.....Kath & Kim), but anyway this woman was at first mistaken because when I said “We have Kath and Kim too!” she was like ‘No way!” because she thought it was the same show, and couldn’t believe that Americans would enjoy it. It wasn’t an indignant view, or a jab at Americans in any way, but truly an acknowledgement of the almost-fact that Australian TV shows just wouldn’t fly in the US. And it’s true…this is why we have an American Office and countless other shows.

It’s just like, god can you imagine growing up and having all your favorite shows be based on another country’s culture? Like if Friends took place in Turkey? Or Will and Grace in the UK? That would never happen. We don’t even have Canadian shows! Honestly, is there one Canadian show on TV (not counting Degrassi)?

What does Alaska do? Do they watch Canadian (American?) TV, or just watch US shows really late, or is it all sent to them in the same way as it is in the US?

- Josh A

No comments:

Post a Comment