Saturday, September 4, 2010

Random Thought: 21

Hi,

I have 5 days left in Europe…it’s amazing how time flies. I’m currently in Hungary (!!), checking out Budapest, but I only had 2 days to do so. It’s sad, because I feel like I’m in Paris or Rome again. Like, there’s no possible way I could ever see everything that would be truly awesome, and at least in Paris I had 4 days. I ONLY HAD TWOOOO. It’s so sad. But, this was my own fault. I felt the need to stay a little longer with my girls, and I don’t regret that decision at all, because I got to share some really great time with them. And at night, instead of going out and actually doing stuff … we watched the entire first season of Alias on my netbook. Ha!

But really, they were great, and I’m gonna miss them so much.
Though at the same time, it’s nice to be on my own again. I mean, that’s what I came here to do. I came to see the world and be independent, and though we had a ton of fun and I saw and did a ton of things I wouldn’t have seen on my own, it felt like a good time to leave them. After all, they came on their trip together, and though they invited me along for the entire ride, they deserved to have some time for their own at the end of their journey. I only had one week left, and it was the perfect amount of time to see (some of) both Prague and Budapest.

Anyway, on the train here, I shared a carriage with 4 other backpackers, all from the UK, and it was really fun. I know how to play Hearts now. And I’m kind of good at it. Anyway, on this SIX HOUR train, I had a few moments of pure ecstasy and clarity. Just…these moments where I’m so aware of the fact that I’m having such a good time here and that everything is awesome and amazing and that I’m becoming a global citizen and I’m not even halfway done with my journey yet.

I’ve been having these moments a lot lately, and it’s like, impossible to adequately describe them. Time is going by faster with each day, and it’s kind of sad, but I know it’s a good thing…because time flies when you’re having fun. And it wouldn’t be flying if I was stressed or not enjoying my time here. But anyway, in a matter of days I will be on my way to a developing country, and one in particular that is at the crossroads of many different global issues and tensions...that I've wanted to visit for years now...and I’m very much excited...and then after that, it’s gonna be paradise even farther east!

Yay for life.
- Josh A

Oh, and PS, I really really want to start reading a new book. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Book suggestions:
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman... utterly life-changing, written for 5th graders, devoured by adults... very simply ideas yet when you look beneath the surface there a whole WORLD of underlying themes/messages, allusions, and more that will spark interest... not to mention Gaiman's writing is FANTASTIC... you won't but it down and you'll finish it in a day :)
    The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga, it didn't get all great reviews however I enjoyed it... plus it's set in India so that might be cool for you to read just before going there... however it's kind of dark... and yet funny too, the narrator is completely unreliable but you sort of like him at times
    Eat Pray Love... because you're living it! :)
    That's all my suggestions for now... check with me later if you want more :) I am an English teacher ya know! haha.

    ReplyDelete